System performance.

(Public Discussion)

Moderator: WoW Officers

Churnobyl

System performance.

Post by Churnobyl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 am

since just before patch 3.08 ive been expericencing a sugnificant uptick in lag and a reduction in frame rates in wow. i have a better than average syetem with the exception of my processor, which is a p4. aside from that im running an nvidia 8800gt and 3 gigs of performance ddr. on a solid motherboard. since the patch, as you can imagine the lag has gotten out of control, although blizzard swears they are working on it. anway, i found this article about managing your settings and decided to post it here for when i get home.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... d=34164362

Iris
Forum Deputy

Post by Iris » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:37 am

/Cue Music

"Dontcha wish your PC was HAWT like mine...Dontcha wish your PC was a FREAK like mine...Dontcha....Ahhhhhhhh."

leech
Site Admin

Post by leech » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:42 am

I know with the expansion I have felt a decent amount of "lag".

Is it FPS lag or latency?

Churnobyl

Post by Churnobyl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 am

leech wrote:I know with the expansion I have felt a decent amount of "lag".

Is it FPS lag or latency?
i dont know, my system is good like i said, Iris' is pretty sick as you know, and while i have not raided on hers to see what frames are at, i know that she is getting retarded latency, we normally are under 100ms and now its been consistantly over 200, and yesterdy all the way into the 1200 range.

Unless hood canal did something at the same time and its coincidence, but i doubt it.

i know bfore the expansion i was at a consistant 60 frames (outside not in raids) and sub 100ms latency i was working a lot after xpack, so i only really remember noticing after christmas sometime, that i was getting frames down around 30 and latency was high 200s, then yesterday i was at average 500ms latency, and in a 25man OS FPS dropped to 4. yes4. with all shadow off, and texture set to 16x16, and all slider effects settings on the "fair" when normally i can run at high.

maybe i have spyware and its killing my bandwidth? or maybe my video card is under performing? or maybe blizzard sux

Iris
Forum Deputy

Post by Iris » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:09 pm

My game graphics are all set to high. I consistently run about 291 latency and around 12-20fps when not in Dalaran or Fireworktonfieldville.

Sorpresa

Post by Sorpresa » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 pm

recent patch caused server issues, that I believe they are still fixing.. of coarse they still have WG lag issues in all of northrend, but the most recent patch seems to have made those WG lag issues now effect instance servers... guess they didn't want people running to the instances to escape the WG lag.

Even BC was a big push in graphic count compared to classic, Lich pushed the count even further (and in some cases to the insane point as Dalaran is). To be able to render that many textures is pretty video intensive. I know my laptop (T7200, 7900GS Go, 1GB, XP) still has issues, I even decreased the video quality that I use to be able to have in BC on it. While my desktop is new (E8400, GTX280, 4GB DDR3-1333, Vista 64bit), and so I have the graphics maxed out and only have issue with lag when the connection or server is having issues.

But in short, blizzard screwed themselves somehow in the patch, and hopefully they will fix it soon.