Windows 7 RC

Moderator: WoW Officers

leech
Site Admin

Windows 7 RC

Post by leech » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:26 pm

This has been available free for awhile, but just wanted to remind everyone that M$ is pulling it on August 20th.

So get you iso and key now if you want nearly a year of free Windows 7.

Expires on March 1, 2010.

And since windows boxes need reformated far more often then that, its may be a good deal :-)

leech
Site Admin

Post by leech » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:36 pm

1 day after Windows 7 64-bit install.

All is going well. All programs I have tried work.

Network, Sound, Dual Monitors alll worked out of the box.

Only driver I have installed is nvidia.

The G15 apps did have to be installed in compatability mode, but windows recognized that and configured it for me.

Takes about 1gb ram at idle, and seems snappier than XP. Vista was using about 1.4gb of ram at idle, and didn't seem very snappy.

So far I am very pleased with Windows 7.

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:05 am

leech wrote:1 day after Windows 7 64-bit install.

All is going well. All programs I have tried work.

Network, Sound, Dual Monitors alll worked out of the box.

Only driver I have installed is nvidia.

The G15 apps did have to be installed in compatability mode, but windows recognized that and configured it for me.

Takes about 1gb ram at idle, and seems snappier than XP. Vista was using about 1.4gb of ram at idle, and didn't seem very snappy.

So far I am very pleased with Windows 7.
Thanks for that.

Sorpresa

Post by Sorpresa » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:47 pm

Pretty funny to read your posts... definitely shows your lack of windows platform over the many years of XP, let alone the past few years of vista (specifically the 64bit).... yearly re-install went away back with windows 2000, was non-existent in XP....

windows 7 is vista, just with an optimized kernel.

*sigh* Linux Nazis...... always looking for the "genetically perfect" creation, instead of just living with what works and is in the general populous....

;P

leech
Site Admin

Post by leech » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:00 pm

I have always ran Windows on my home desktop, most games require it to run at their best.

I have ran 2k, XP, XP 64, Vista 64 all for several months each. And all required a reformat within 6 months.

Sure I probably didn't _have_ to reformat, but everytime there was a noticable speed increase. It may not be a MS problem, more likely a 3rd party software doing stuff it shouldn't.

Windows 7 is more than just a kernel change, but that is the most significant part :-)

Did I mention my vista 64 install didn't last 2 months before it was unusable. Random applications took about 5 minuts to open. And only about 7/10 apps even ran on Vista 64. Also there wasn't even a driver for a Creative Sound Blaster Live. Fail MS.

PS: I beleive I saw somewhere a Sound Blaster Live driver may now be available.

Sorpresa

Post by Sorpresa » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:30 am

Been running this system on Vista 64 for a bit over a year now... no driver issues, although I do load manufacture drivers and not depend on the OS to supply them, no slow down that I have noticed (actually a bit speedier after a few patches earlier this year).... I do not have any plan on reformatting this system until I get a copy of Windows 7 for it... which has been already pre-ordered.

As for XP, my previous system ran it without reformat or major issue for 6 years. It was a P4 3.0Ghz system, purchased in the first month Intel released it (still have it, now its my mother's main system). That system was my main rig, with Earth and Beyond, EVE, SWG, various Battlefields versions, Call of Duty versions, then ultimately WoW and raiding 5 nights a week in MC then BWL, and TBC with my druid going from 60 to 70 in 4 days..... Also was used in my video editing craze, so about a dozen various programs were installed and un-installed over the years, 3 separate video cards, 2 different video capture devices (one firewire, one pci), three different types of wireless mice (won't get started on your slanted view on those ;P )...... and as stated, never a reformat in these 6 years....

My system always had an antivirus running in background (normally Symantec, as I have a connection with them), at times even other "protection" applications. This system was used for bit torrents, and on and on.... But I can say that during this entire time I never got a spyware or virus issue, as many did back in the earlier days of XP (which was where I made most of my money in between jobs back then)... so I am not the typical (or at least well rumored and ranted about) windows user.... But you would think that if Windows had this 6 month slowdown, that after 6 years as a very active Windows user (with back then having three different windows boxes in my bedroom, now I am down to two), I would notice it to such a degree as you say.... and figure a reformat was in order... .... um, no...

Now with the driver issue... I find it amusing that a supposedly heavy linux user is blaming the OS company for driver issues, as with linux you are almost solely dependent on the device manufacture to provide you the full features of the device, unless some "neck-beard" decides to spend the time and build one himself to share. Windows provides most of the drivers as a convenience to the users... just as packages like Ubuntu tries to (and fails at many times over).... MS has nothing to do with the availability of drivers, they bundle them with the OS to try to make installation smooth, but I would never take a bundled driver over a newly downloaded manufacture one....
Creative Labs has had countless issues with getting their driver's released quickly, and at times they don't even bother.... ATI had the same policy with their Rage chips back when XP was released... this is not a new occurrence, and is the issue with not having specific hardware as Apple does with their (ever notice how difficult people have with getting OS X to work on other machines?)

As for your G15 LCD issue.... most likely you are still using the old driver, go to logitech's site and select Vista 64-bit....As my current version is not even running in 32-bit mode on my Vista 64-bit machine....
( http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/434/1 ... en?osid=13 )

If you looked at a current fully patched and options downloaded Vista 64-bit machine, and then looked at a Windows 7 machine, you would almost not tell them apart.... there is very little change beyond the improvement of the back-end. They added some features here and there, which more than likely would of been added to Vista if they were still actively working on it, but it is Vista with two major changes.... the kernel, and the compatibility. The main reason for Windows 7 (and the accelerated release schedule compared to normal), is to work on removing the Vista Stigmata that was formed from Apple's ads on top of lazy and stubborn manufactures, on top of the already big issue of cutting off old application and device support.

MS has had to deal with compatibility since DOS -> Windows change (heck even some back in pure DOS version changes), when they make huge leaps, it causes issues for those that either don't want to upgrade, or can't upgrade (either lack of new drivers, or just not enough money). Vista was a big leap... but in many ways Windows 7 is an even larger one.... the advantage Windows 7 has, is the several years Vista has been out and been collecting drivers and application support... Windows 7 will be cutting most pre-XP application and driver support, with some XP application and driver support also being cut.... these are 32-bit applications (with 16-bit not even supported in anyway from what I can tell)

I don't consider myself a MS fanboy, thou I know this post most likely sounds like it. I have had a life long trip down the Windows, with linux and BSD only being spots here and there, and even less in the Apple world... but even with that if I knew something was more of a rumor about any of those I would speak up in the same fashion.....

but in all fairness... I just seemed to be in the mood to rant a bit, and you gave me the out. ;P

(just a note if you think it was crazy I wrote this all... well think about this, I forgot to make a copy of it to a TXT file, something I do with any post of this length, when I went to submit it..... the forum required me to login, and then sent me to the forum homepage..... backing to last page didn't help, nothing.... so this is the SECOND time I wrote it, with a backup copy this time...)

Anyways... I am finally off to bed...

leech
Site Admin

Post by leech » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:58 am

The only driver I ever load on linux is nVidia because they suck and won't release their stuff to the open source developers.

Everything has worked out of the box with most (all?) features for sometime. I am of course assuming brand name hardware. Now with the BSDs you have to go hunting for vendor drivers and what not....

At work we have our XP machines go 5 years and they usually make it, but if at any point we lend up reformating them early they always are noticably faster. We always have av/spyware removal tools running. But, we do not keep users from installing 3rd partry software. So again maybe not MS fault.

I seem to be getting better network performance from 7 than vista, but I have not benchmarked it so it may be a mental thing :-)

You are an MS fanboi. (fixed just for iris)
Last edited by leech on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iris
Forum Deputy

Post by Iris » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:47 pm

leech wrote:Your an MS fanboi.
+100 for working "fanboi" into this
-1000 for using the wrong version of "you're"

:D :D :D

leech
Site Admin

Post by leech » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:10 am

Another note after more testing.

Machine is still stable. Every application so far has ran perfectly.

2gb of ram is not enough RAM to run the OS, brosers windows, and WoW without excessive disk activity (swapping).

Going to order 8gb soon and will report back.

Sorpresa

Post by Sorpresa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:27 am

The enterprise version is available off Technet... a bit of registration required, but it does offer a bit more features than the previous RC they released. One specifically is Bit Locker, which is a nice easy encryption for usb sticks.... and if you use the enterprise version to setup Bit Locker the usb stick will work on all previous versions of Windows 7 and Vista from what I have heard.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/eval ... ForWindows

mames

Post by mames » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:01 pm

Similar but slightly unrelated
Currently running Server 2008R2(win7 based server)
Everything is running perfectly.